Thursday, January 6, 2011

Putting in a dust collection system

As my odyssey continues, I have reached the point with the shop where I can install the dust collection conduit and hook it up to my new home built 2 hp cyclone.
The cyclone is styled after information obtained from the Bill Pentz website and although not an exact duplicate seems to work quite well.
From new shop

As you can see from the picture I split the system into two zones.
One zone runs for approximately 22 feet using this six-inch spiral lock tubings for the mains four-inch drops to my tools.
The second zone travels across the width of my shop to the balance of my machines. That run is approximately 30 feet long. I tried to keep the conduits low along the wall in order to maximize the particle velocity entering the system from the tools. I found that the table saw and the bandsaw both required dual four-inch ports thus maximizing the capacity of my six-inch lines.
From new shop
I used saddle type connections to the spiral lock tubing as I found it impossible to buy sweep elbows locally.

This seemed to work just fine with a small amount of flex tubing between them and the blast gates.
I used an abrasive cut off disc on a small grinder and finished out the trimming by hand with tin snips.
The takeoffs were rivited in place and sealed from the inside with high heat silicone compound. I then taped the outside of the joints with foil tape to reduce the chance of a leak.

The compound miter saw became a bit more of a challenge as it wants to not only push sawdust off the blade from the top but also spreads it quite liberally off the bottom of the blade in a large fan shape.
To help with this I constructed this plastic cage allows the saw to rotate from 50° left to 45° right and also tilt to a 45° miter without interference. To get the shape pretty close I made a mockup template out of cardboard and refined that before I cut the final shape in coroplast.
Coroplast is quite rigid yet easy to bend and fix with wide flange sheet metal screws.
I think I will face the same situation with the Radial Arm saw later although I only kept it for dadoes so I may not build an elaborate trap like this one.

From new shop
The following picture. shows the position of the blast gate.
I am able to run a 2 inch flex tube up to the opening of the blast gate to direct most of the debris into the line.
From new shop
this picture shows a vertical gate to which I intend to look up a temporary four-inch line to run such things as a planer and jointer.
From new shop
This picture shows you the approximate position of the bandsaw along with its double extraction ports the new down draft sanding station that has yet to find a permanent home along the wall.
From new shop
I hope to be able to start sorting out most of my shop materials and tools now and find permanent homes for a lot of those things that are lying in piles around the room so today is a good day for me in that I have 90% of my dust collection hooked up and running.

Cheers

Bob

2 comments: