Thursday, January 6, 2011

Moving the machines and sorting the hand tools

There is nothing quite like a move to point out what a board hoarder and tool junkie you really are!

I had no idea that I had accumulated so much "stuff" until now.

I had a pretty good idea from using Sketchup and surveying my major tools how I was going to lay them out in the shop. What I didn't realize was how much space is taken up by hand tools, screws and nuts bolts jigs,rulers clamps. etc. etc.
I had started moving arm loads and box loads of a small stuff in my truck and would bring the heavy stuff for a mover with the truck and a hydraulic tailgate.

Because I haven't had time to do the cobblestone sidewalk over to the shop ( guess that's next spring) and in preparation for the move this Wednesday I laid out plywood over the grass and up the steps.
On wednesday afternoon the fellow arrived at our work began.

From new shop

It went quite smoothly with me helping and surprisingly, we got the tools loaded, lashed down and moved over to the new shop in less than an hour.
I had assumed we might have trouble with manipulating the curved cobblestone sidewalk beside the house and scooting the heavy equipment, some up to 500 pounds, across the grass but this fellow made made it seem easy and before I knew it the place was packed with gear.

From new shop

Right now the place is packed with nonworking gear and all forms of disarray. And I will be spending the weekend at reassembling the pieces and formally decided on their final resting places.
From new shop
From new shop

I am beginning to really see that I must say goodbye to some of my toys that are used infrequently and finally once in my life make the most use of the space available to me.
It's going to been challenging, but it should be fun.

There's still a 1000 things still to do but the smoke is clearing and I am anxious to get finished .

No comments:

Post a Comment