Thursday, January 6, 2011

Inching closer to moving day

During the last few days I was able to complete the installation of the vinyl siding and wait patiently for my infrared heater.


To make a long story short I contacted a local infrared heater supplier here in Edmonton that turned out to be my worst nightmare.
When I contacted the owner Re: installation e-mailed me back and said they do not allow their customers to see installations and that I would have to appear at his store for further details.
I left it at that for or two to three weeks and went on with my construction when, out of the blue, one of his employees phoned me and asked how I was getting along with my building.
I was again encouraged and immediately contacted him to set up a meeting regarding the purchase of the right size heater and to inquire about the proper layout for same.
He in turn did not return my e-mails nor did he return my subsequent phone calls.
I began to feel like the brunt of a rather cruel joke at this point in time as I had already spent more than five weeks trying to contact this company regarding the Calcan heater I had seen advertised on their website.
Thoroughly peed off, I had my gas fitter order a gas heater from his supplier.

We quickly found out that his supplier was backordered for the item and would be another week.

At this point I was so annoyed that I darted off a letter to the president of Calcan Heating in Calgary to defuse my frustration and lo and behold the owner of the company contacted me almost by return mail.
Within five minutes he had resolved my frustrations and was kind enough to upgrade my heater and ship it complete with exhaust manifold and fresh air intakes.
It arrived here last Friday.

*If you live any where near me and want an infrared heater call me and I'll tell you who not to call.*

With my usual luck, my forklift quit on me and I was unable to unload the heater from the truck. Normally I would just lift the box off the truck (110 lbs) but in this case they crated it and the crate was 16 feet long by 4 feet wide by 2 feet high and weighed 450 pounds.
Trucking company graciously took it back to the warehouse and redelivered it for me this Monday.
I have it up in the shop now but not plumbed as my gas fitter ran out of time and we needed to obtain two extra elbows to fit the exhaust around the center roof beam.
Thanks to the goons in Edmonton I now have to run and additional length of line to the heater electronics as we guessed wrong and put the electrical box/switch at the other end.

I managed to get the ditch filled them for where the electrical and gas lines were layed and started cleaning up around the site.



Tomorrow I will start installing the cedar siding on the front of the building that my wife wanted to make the building appear shorter than it is. It will be about 100 trips up and down the ladder with fitting and jigsawing each piece into a half circle on the bottom edge.



When I went purchase cedar to tackle this job and found out the local cedar pirate wanted $1.40 per lineal foot so I got some cedar fence boards and proceeded to mill my own.

First problem I ran into after rabbeting all the lumber was that I did not have a profile in all my router bits that would allow me to cut a 45° bevel.


I used one of my cheap bits with the bearing and removed it and ground the top off.



Here's a pass for the final profile:


It's been close to 30°C all week making installing siding in the direct sun like atrip across the Sahara.

Cheers
Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment