Thursday, January 6, 2011

Here comes the amateur roofer! life time guarantee on this one!

Today marks the first time I tacked shingles since I was 16 years old. ( apparently, there is a lot I forgot)
Thanks to you generous folks who pointed me in the right directions and several tours of Internet I am well on the way to getting the roof done tomorrow.
*The big draw back today was the sun*.
I was so hot on the tar paper that you could not touch it or even sit on it.
The heat was definitely in the 140 -160°F range.
I got the flashing figured out and the starter course on by around 10:AM and then toted and tacked the first few bundles of shingles till my bum was on fire.
I will be up on the roof at 7:00 tomorrow and have everything laid out for a 9:00 start as the city restricts hammering earlier than this.
I have managed to haul 4 or five bundles to the shop on my garden truck then break the bundles to carry them to the roof. They are too heavy for me now . (Oh to be young again!)
It's a few more trips but then again it still gets her done.



Here's where I am as of noon today.
Not what you might call respectable by roofing standards but I feel pretty good about it.



No comments:

Post a Comment