Thursday, January 6, 2011

Gas is hooked up??? and cabinets are ready for the install

Progress on the shop over the last couple of weeks has been relatively slow so I did not bother you with an update.
My gas fitter finally appeared this Thursday and completed the installation of my infrared heater.
My wife conveniently dropped the barbecue lidon our gas quick disconnect and I was in the process of replacing the broken nipple when the gas fitter took over.....
To my surprise he tested the seal of the new parts by running the barbecue lighter along the joints to see if he could produce a flame.
*I have heard this done but it is my custom to use soapy water and a brush.*

I paid him off and thought nothing of it until I went into my shop this morning to clean up and discovered that the connection coming through the wall was on fire.!!!!
This guy apparently tests all his seals with a Bic lighter.
If the flame had been pointing toward the wall instead of into the room my shop would have been cinders.

*This "flame" had been burning for the last 24 hours!!!!*




I've been thinking about this all day quite frankly, I'm sick to my stomach .

*There is absolutely no excuse for this type of behavour it's laziness coupled with complete stupidity.*

On a more positive note, I have nearly assembled the cabinets I bought this week.

They are originally IKEA kitchen cabinets and will do quite nicely for storage in the shop.
There are no doors or shelves but they can be purchased separately .
At an average of $13 each to simply could not turn them down.



They will be quite attractive and save me a ton of time which I simply don't have right now.
In the meantime, I put up one of those tent garages beside the house to store lumber and materials over the next few months what decide what stays and what goes.



The eavestroughs are installed in the downspouts are on so now I wait for rain to test my installation.

No comments:

Post a Comment